Sweet and sticky chicken thighs
In the past month I’ve lost a stone without going to the gym or following any sort of complicated diet. Instead I’ve been clean eating and limiting my daily calorie intake whilst hitting a daily step target. It can be that simple, but you need will power and most importantly after 4 weeks, a little down time. So, this weekend it was time for some indulgence, including this incredible sweet and sticky chicken. Will power and clean eating shall resume tomorrow.
I love chicken on the bone, not to mention chicken skin; this is where all the flavour is packed. So amidst cravings for something “bad” I decided some sort of Chinese chicken and fried rice would hit the spot. Take note I refuse to call this a fakeaway.
This recipe is a bit of a slow burner with the chicken being slow cooked and the rice being pre-cooked / cooled ahead of stir frying, but that just makes it perfect for a Sunday afternoon. In the grand scheme of things it’s also not that unhealthy; swap out the thighs for breast meat, trim some of the sesame oil combined with a bit of portion control and I’d happily count this as clean eating.
If you want any advice, recipes or just want to find out a bit about my approach to eating clean and weight loss get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1tbsp honey
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1tsp Sriracha hot sauce
- 1tbsp chopped flat lead parsley
- Two chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup basmati rice pre cooked and rapidly cooled
- Finely sliced carrot
- 1/4 cup peas
- 2 eggs
- 1 spring onion
- 1tbsp sesame oil
- 1tbsp light soy sauce
Serves 1 very hungry man. Would stretch to 2 with an extra chicken high and 1/2 cup of rice.
- Trim any excess chicken skin from the thighs and add to a high walled pot on a high heat. This will release some fat to cook the chicken thighs - discard the cooked skin.
- With the pot now on a high heat, season the chicken thighs then ad to the pot skin side down and cook for 5 minutes until browned.
- Add the seared thighs and any juices released to a slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours
- With the chicken cooking, make the sauce with the remaining ingredients. Leave in a bowl ready for later.
- At this point also cook the rice - 2 parts water to 1 part rice and steam. Once cooked add to a bowl and throw immediately in the fridge.
- After 2 hours slow cooking the chicken, heat the sesame oil in a pan and add the finely slice the carrot. When aldente remove.
- Next cook the eggs. You want to make an omelette then roll it up and slice in the pan. Again remove this once cooked.
- Take the chicken out of the slow cooker and place in an oven proof dish. Add the sauce and glaze a few times. Place in an oven on 200 degrees C for 5 minutes. This will give it time to brown.
- Add the cooked rice, carrot, egg, frozen peas, light soy and an extra slug of sesame oil to a woke and stir fry the rice. This is a really quick process with everything being pre-cooked so should only take a couple of minutes.
- Plate up the rice, top with the now super sticky chicken thighs and garnish with some finely chopped parsley / spring onion.